On behalf of the General Commission on United Methodist Men (GCUMM) and the Center for Scouting Ministries:
1) The formal partnership holder for The United Methodist Church is the General Commission on United Methodist Men as outlined in the Book of Discipline. The “should” of Scouting has not gone away.
2) Our affiliation agreement was renewed with a wet signature in 2020. We stand together in ministry with youth as we invest in communities. We take Christ at his word in three of four Gospels. “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 19:14 (ESV)
3) The bankruptcy is progressing. We need to take a deep breath. It takes truly an act of God to get that many lawyers to agree on anything. So, breath. Then pray. God can move mountains and even lawyers.
4) It has been recommended that we charter up to Dec. 31, 2021 to allow for space to work together. We will have more answers and a stronger way forward before then. Do not throw out the children in the church (Scouts), this will harm them and the church. Two deep injustices do not make justice, even for a lawyer! If the charter agreement is in place so is insurance. If the charter is not expired, do not make changes. Do get involved. Be a minister and make it ministry. This is not only to the youth but know the adults. Pray for them. Walk together along the trail.
5) Continue to serve in ministry. If God has called you to serve youth, then serve. Help all of us to live into the Wesleyan rules: Do no harm, Do Good, Stay in Love with God!