“The first time I attended the Methodist Scouters’ Conference, I didn’t even know what I didn’t know. I didn’t know anybody at the conference. Only a few months prior, I didn’t even know anything about these conferences at all .I’d never been to the Philmont Training Center (except walking through part of it to tour the Villa Philmonte after treks across the road). Seven days later, at the end of that first Conference . . . well, I knew a little more, and I knew where I could find out a lot more. Most importantly, I knew some new friends . . . and I knew I was going to find a lot more through the Methodist Scouters, and have a lot more fun in the future.”
-Cliff Coan, 62, Central Texas Conference
Philmont Training Center is located at 6,600 feet above sea level. Here are a few ideas for you to be prepared and make the most of your time.
- Check out the “What to Bring List for Conference Attendees” On the same page you can see what to bring for your Family Adventure Camp, Backcountry Sneak Peak, or NAYLE.
2. Be ready and open to learn and share. Know that the staff has prepared a great conference for you. Some may be things you know but others will be brand new. We usually have well over 500 years of collective Scouting experience in the room at one time. “What is really important is what you learn after thinking you know it all..” -Waite Phillips.
3. Apply for scholarships. This is ministry. It is so valuable that there are folks who have made sure that you can get help to attend. Early application deadline for the Methodist Scholarship is Dec. 31. The final application deadline is Feb. 1, 2021. The PTC Scholarship deadline is Feb. 1. Many Conferences have opportunities for scholarships as well. Check with them specifically. PTC Scholarship. Methodist Scholarship
4. Plan to travel to Philmont with others if you can. I know my travel out to Philmont and back has always been a time a preparation, fellowship, and a treasured capstone. Don’t pass up on the chance to spend time with a friend or a new friend traveling. How to get to Philmont.
5. Get it together. There are some requirements for attending the Methodist Conference at Philmont. Make sure your Youth Protection Training is up to date. This is not only a BSA requirement but a highest priority for Methodist Scouting. A BSA Medical Form is also required for every program at Philmont Scout Ranch. Learn more about which forms you are required to bring. LEARN MORE
5. Know you are joining a legacy. For the last 100 years, Methodist have been spreading the good news of Christ and the fellowship of scouting worldwide. You are a part of it. Please bring a few fun pictures to share of your early days in Scouting and your current experiences. We are coming not only to learn but to celebrate.
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.